CDC obesity data
Found this when I was looking up obesity data for the U.S. I am interested in why we are getting fatter, and whether we should care.
When the data came out, media outlets talked about Mississippi as the fattest state and Colorado as the thinnest, but that does seem to accurately portray the 2009 numbers.
The map shows a large rise in rates of obesity in the 50 states over the past 25 years. What I found interesting is that all of the states had a marked increase in obesity rates. Mississippi, the current #1 ranked state was always heavier than #50 Colorado. It seems more important that both states had at least 100% increases over a 20 year period.
The state by state differences have existed since at least 1992, the story over the last 20 years should be focused on the nationwide issues.
I will pontificate on the national issues that have led to current obesity rates later.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
I think you're completely right. I often hear that the reason why the poor are so heavy is that they are lazy from people who are very heavy themselves but were lucky enough to avoid poverty.
ReplyDelete