(Go to www.clifbar.com if you want the shotbloks, www.apple.com for the ipod, www.runningwarehouse.com for everything else except the iPod cover, www.belkin.com.
Running Warehouse and Clif Bar ROCK (and I hope they don't get mad at me for using their pictures))
I choose to bring the world with me when I run. At the very minimum, I wear a GPS watch, a heart rate monitor, a foot pod (a device that calculates my mileage, if God forbid, the GPS watch fails) and my Ipod. At times, on my long runs, add a cell phone, my water bottle and a pink camoflauge fanny pack (Fanny Packs are back in, I swear.) There are literally times when I am unable to go on my run because I cannot find part of my equipment. I mean, what if the distance from my house to Golden Gardens suddenly changes? Or what if my GPS stops working for a milisecond and I don't have an alternative way of tracking the distance I have already memorized. And the worst case scenario, what if I don't have my Ipod and someone needs me to look up the lyrics to whatever I am singing out load as they pass me on the trail?
My colleague, the minimalist runner, thinks that all these devices add enough weight to my body that they are actually causing me to run slower. He has also noted that it is possible to run without a constant string of tunes playing in one's ear. I choose to not believe his overhyped rhetoric. So, if you see me on the trail, bob your head along to my awesome rendition of "Cheeseburger in Paradise" or "It's the end of the world" and I will be okay when you turn your head away and pretend you don't know the girl with the camo fanny pack.

I'm struggling with this at the moment. I wondered what to do with my MP3 player. People seem to run with them in one hand. I can't do that as I need to have my inhaler in one hand and the cap in the other. And then what about my house keys? The big giant English style ones? For now, I'm using a safety pin to keep them safely in my hoodie pocket, another safety pin to keep my earphone wire in place. And the inhaler and cap remain in my hands. What am I going to when summer comes? Oops, I guess I should really just see if I'm going to run a second day.
ReplyDeleteCan your next post be titled Inspector Gadget didn't run; he had springy arms for that?
That is why you get the pink camo spipack, it fits everything (and totally comes in less nerdy colors). It is this weird spandex thing that fits the cell phone, the giant keychain and anything else you need.
ReplyDeleteI know what I'm going to go look for on Monday!
ReplyDelete