I went to my first hot yoga class last night. My colleagues and friends have suggested that I step out of my yoga shell and I felt like I went from my nice cozy yoga shell to an episode of the yoga twilight zone. I walked in the door to sign in and I saw two women in bikinis (okay, bikini tops with very short spandex shorts). Yes, they were incredibly attractive (and made me feel instantly like an octogenarian whale), but my studio never has people strutting around in very little clothing. (PS they both had lower back tattoos, you know the kind). I went to the dressing room and put on my green prana capris and top and felt like I was WAY overdressed for the occasion.
The room was actually the temperature of a sauna and it had full length mirrors, somewhat like a dance studio everywhere. My studio intentionally avoids the mirror thing so you can concentrate on what you are doing and not whether you look awesome doing it. I rolled out my mat and was inclined to just lay on it for the hour long class.
I looked at the other students walking in: it was AWESOME. Several college co-eds, a couple of soccer moms and three morbidly obese dudes who were clearly not there for the health benefits of the class. One of the morbidly obese dudes was so out of shape that he made groaning noises a few times throughout the class. I was concerned for the men, with the intense heat, the half-naked women and the actual exercise portion of the class, I was a little worried about ambulances and fire trucks coming in to interrupt the class.
Eventually, the bikini barbie came in and started leading the class. She led it like an aerobics class, complete with the bright bouncy voice and a "come on, just one more set" attitude. The actual class was kind of fun. I drank a lot of water and the heat made me more flexible so I was able to get into poses I normally avoid. However, I did not enjoy glaring at my, not 4 pound co-ed body in the mirror as I tried to concentrate on my breath. And I really didn't enjoy listening to the men having heart attacks around me.
I am not someone that is under the illusion that modern yoga practice is an ancient Hindu art with tradition that goes back centuries (if you believe this to be true, please read Yoga Body by Mark Singleton). However, I do believe that Yoga is, at its core, a physical and meditative art. And I get a lot out of my classes because of the combination of both aspects.
I don't see my self going back to the barbie, fat man, sauna version any time soon. I may, however, try a different hot yoga studio to see if there are any that are less, well....
And I'm reminded as to why I stopped going to yoga class.
ReplyDelete